Monday 1 November 2010

Team Effort!


This weekend saw the highly anticipated interclubs surfing competition at Croyde. It was cool as I had organised a team from Westward Ho! Surf Club to come and have a crack at this event. As some of you already know I cant remember the last time the Ho! entered a team into the interclubs which is crazy because we host some proper shredders from the right side of the river! It was also a really nice social competition as at least one competitor from each team had to judge during some duration of the contest, with that in mind created some great banter between clubs.
The usual rivals i.e. Croyde and Woolacombe surf clubs competitors love a bit of social banter. These 2 clubs usually finish 1st and 2nd if not visaversa.
Not this time, this was the ho's! year.

Conditions on saturday were solid and lumpy which made competing difficult as a lot of luck and skill were needed to get some decent scores on the board. I had a bit of a shocker on saturday as every wave I wanted to hook into seemed to close out or go fat, then I spent 10 minutes trying to battle the set waves right on the melon! Luckily the rest of the boys had a stormer on saturday all claiming high scores respectivly.
After day 1 (saturday) we were in the lead by 2 points so we wanted to try and maintain that lead all the way through to the bitter end.

On sunday the swell had dropped off considerably, I surfed a really good heat and fully improved my scores from the saturday which fully helped us win the event!

Better than that I managed to win a free wettie for scoring the highest heat score over the 2 day event, I think I posted a 16.00 out of a possible 20. Stoked!

The contest was obviously a huge success and I hope the swell is good for it next year as the Westward Ho! surf club boys will be all over it again!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment